DWLRAVMS – February 13, 2018 Meeting Minutes
Note: Commander Herman Martinez is on vacation and attendance indicates a quorum.
Call to Order: Meeting was called to order at 6:35PM by Vice Commander Rick Davis who led the group in the Pledge of Allegiance and an invocation. His opening remarks included a warm welcome to all in attendance followed by a brief self-introduction from everyone in the room.
Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer’s report was given by Treasurer Ned Conlin. Details are on file for review. Ned announced that hats and shirts are for sale and serve as a fundraiser for the organization. He also announced 12 new members over the course of the month, and an additional 2 new members this evening.
Secretary’s Report: Secretary Pat Sefton identified the highlights from last month’s meeting and mentioned the secretary’s report is available to anyone interested upon request.
Outreach Committee: Outreach Coordinator Joan Sauer and Vice Commander Rick Davis briefly explained the purpose of the outreach committee and asked for volunteer members. Her goal is to have an established membership of the committee before a need arises so the group is prepared to assist wherever needed.
Events: Events Coordinator Harvey Goldberg identified the need to create events that will help with fundraising in order to meet the goals of the organization.
- Manasota Operation Troop Support (NOTS): The coordinator Linda Craig is in need of ‘goodies’ to send to active deployed troops, this includes primarily nonperishable items such as shavers, protein bars, coffee and other essential items. The committee is planning a ‘goodies’ drive on March 17th. Items are to be placed in front of the resident’s garage door and volunteers will pick up items around 11:00AM. Volunteers included; Guy Sumrall, Bill Shaw, Ernie Wawrowicz, Bob Ferullo, Paul Hartford and Rich Greenberg.
- Linda Craig will also need help in packing these items for shipment. Harvey mentioned the possibility of getting a group of volunteers together after the items are delivered to assist in packing.
Membership: Membership committee report was not available but it was noted that 33 members were in attendance.
- Event Coordinator Harvey Goldberg mentioned the needs of the MOTS organization under the Events Committee report.
- The March program will be Vanessa Baugh, the Manatee County Commissioner for this area. This meeting will be open to all residents of the community. Please encourage your neighbors to attend and watch for the email blast and notice.
- Vice Commander Rick Davis mentioned and encouraged current members to recruit new membership. Volunteers are needed for a variety of needs including a webmaster. When this position is filled, information will be available to all members on the website.
- Vice Commander Rick Davis asked all members to think of ideas and submit them to any member of the board for program and speaker ideas. The goal is to enlighten and inform all residents in topics of need and interest.
- Vice Commander Rick Davis also asked members to submit ideas for fundraising. He opened the discussion to the floor and ideas included; Bingo night, a yard sale, a pasta dinner, raising money for a small flag in each yard over Memorial Day, a golf tournament, a pancake breakfast and a casino night. The casino night idea was received with enthusiasm and Connie Goldberg will pursue this idea and report back to the board planning options and opportunities.
- Vice Commander Rick Davis announced Amanda Arnold as the Del Webb new Activity Director. She has received many awards and recognition in her field. We welcome her to our neighborhood.
- Vice Commander Rick Davis mentioned the idea of sharing a membership roster with each member of the organization and asked if there were any objections. It was explained that each member will utilize this list with discretion and noted the list is not for general distribution. Comments were heard from the membership and after a brief discussion; Harvey Goldberg made a motion the membership list be made available to each member. The motion received a second from Joan Sauer. Everyone was in agreement with no nay votes voiced. This action will be carried out by members of the board within the next several days.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:25PM
The 50/50 raffle winner was Johnny Weiner. He graciously made a contribution of his winnings back to the organization. Thank You!