October 11, 2022 AVMS Meeting Minutes
Call to Order: Rich Greenberg, President, called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm. Director-At-Large Joe Ward led the Pledge of Allegiance. Invocation was given by Ken Anderson.
Welcome Remarks: New members were welcomed by President, Rich Greenberg.
Roll Call/Attendance: All five Directors present: Rich Greenberg, Dave Chervin, Steve Milbrod, John Bastiani and Joe Ward.
Guest Visitor: Jenna Wolf – daughter of resident Neil Wolf. Jenna is an active duty Marine based at Camp Pendleton, California.
Secretary’s Report: Dave Chervin announced that the September 2022 meeting minutes were approved by the Board electronically and are available on our Website. Minutes will be posted on the A.V.M.S. website.
Membership Roster – Dave Chervin reported as of the meeting we have 392 members.
Treasurer’s Report: Steve Milbrod reported:
Opening balance $15,826.37
Ending Balance $21,821.06
$20.32 – replacement of P.O.W flag
$781 – renewal of annual liability insurance premium
$435 – purchase of 15 x 10 ft. festival canopy and stage covering
$5,160 – Ticket sales
$250 – New membership dues
$1,375 – donations (includes $1,000 check from WAWA Corp.)
$325 – from 50/50 raffle
$70 – Pet Parade registration
$50 – shirt sales
- Steve Milbrod reported on the results of the Fall Fiesta II.
- The Windsor Veteran Breakfast – Rich Greenberg reminded all Veterans that they and their spouse/partners are invited the second Wednesday of every month.
- JFCS Meeting – Rich met with them to develop an understanding and to ensure that donations are channeled properly.
- Rich Greenberg spoke explained that the Build for honor event will be delayed. A new date has not been determined.
- It was announced that Deb Distefano has stepped down as Supply Officer and will be succeeded by Mike Calka.
- It was announced that Deb Distefano was nominated as AVMS Member of the Quarter.
- Joe Ward gave an update on Operation Thanksgiving. Last year we were able to purchase 283 gift cards ($50 increments) and have set a goal of 300 for this year. MacDill Air Force base has been contacted and will make them available. We just finished our first week of the 2022 campaign and have a team of volunteers ready to help write thank you notes for our donors.
- Annual Pet Parade – deadline to register is 10/20. Event is scheduled for 10/27
- November 6 – Veterans Day in the Oasis parking lot (1:00 – 2:00) BYOC (bring your own chair). The guest speaker will be the Chief of Staff at the Florida Department of Veterans affairs. The Color Guard will be from the Sarasota Military Academy.
- Castle Management is hosting a Veteran’s Day breakfast open to all Del Webb Veterans in rooms 2 & 3. Membership in AVMS not required.
- Rich explained that Elections for the positions of Treasurer and Vice-President are coming up. Details are forthcoming.
Next Meeting: No Open meeting scheduled for November
Motion to close the meeting at 7:00 was made by Rich Greenberg and seconded by Joe Ward.
Dave Chervin – Secretary