A.V.M.S. Meeting Minutes September 14, 2021
Call To Order: Rich Greenberg, Vice Commander, called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm. Director-At-Large Joe Ward led the Pledge of Allegiance. Invocation was given by Ken Anderson.
Welcome Remarks: New members were welcomed by Vice Commander Rich Greenberg.
Roll Call / Attendance: Directors present were Rich Greenberg, Bob Sharak, Steve Milbrod, and Joe Ward. There were 31 members at the meeting (24 in the Oasis and 7 on Zoom). Thus, there was not a quorum of membership.
Guest Speaker: There was no guest speaker at the meeting.
Secretary’s Reports: Bob Sharak called for and received approval for the August 10, 2021 meeting minutes. Minutes are posted on the AVMS website.
Membership Roster – Bob Sharak reported that we have 267 members, an all-time high, up from last month of 250.
Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Steve Milbrod reported:
Opening balance $8,204
Ending Balance $13,893
Net increases were from Dues and Fall Fiesta ticket sales, offset slightly by Fall Fiesta expenses and the annual 501(c)(3) fee to the State of Florida.
Membership Acquisition/Retention: No report.
Website: No report.
Communications: Rich Greenberg reported that Communication specialists Tracy Stewart and Bob Smith have volunteered to develop and enhance our plans for communication content to include e-mail, Facebook etc.
Neighbors Helping Neighbors: Ken Anderson re-iterated the mission of Neighbors Helping Neighbors and reminded us that it originated with the Outreach Committee in AVMS. The Neighbors Helping Neighbors Team Sponsored a community-wide event on August 26 at the Del Webb pool deck to convey our best wishes to a very special Del Webb neighbor, Jeff Berenson, who continues to recover from a very serious auto accident that occurred on SR-70 near the Del Webb front entrance back in March.
Sergeant of Arms: No report.
Supply Officer: Debbie DiStefano reported that all sizes of both kind of shirts are available, as well as hats. Polo shirts $35, T-shirts $13, Hats $15. There is a $2 upcharge for 2XL sizes. To place an order, send an email to Debbie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The price of the apparel sells at AVMS cost. No markup.
- Pet Parade Update -Thursday Oct 28th – Steve Milbrod indicates he just sent out an email looking for volunteers as well as 10 x 10 tents.
- The 3rd annual Christmas season Golf Cart parade is scheduled for Friday evening December 10th. Participants are reminded that the event is in the evening and their carts should have the capacity to light up.
- Operation Thanksgiving update – Bob Sharak reported that the project is on track. 35 volunteers have come forth. The Operation will again donate $50 Commissary Gift cards to needy families at MacDill AFB. The target this year is 225 Gift cards. The donation campaign will run from October 1 to October 30. Advertising will start at the end of September.
- 9/11 Memorial update – Rich Greenberg reported that AVMS led a ceremony at the flagpole area honoring those killed on the 9/11 attack. Del Webb residents Deb Lammens (former flight attendant of United Airlines) spoke, and Lynda McGuire rang the bell. About 65-70 people were in attendance.
- A Veterans Day Ceremony is planned for November 7th. It will be outdoors in the Oasis parking lot. Details to be announced.
- A Pearl Harbor Memorial event is scheduled for December 7th. Some of our Navy Veterans are involved in the planning. Details to be announced.
- Local Charities Update – Due to a variety of circumstances, AVMS Board no longer intends to make donations to Turning Points Yellow Ribbon Program or to “Our Next Mission”. Additional charities are being sought. The Board has interviewed and toured two facilities servicing at-risk veterans and families in the local area: Warrior’s Place and JFCS-Operation Military Assistance Program (OMAP). No decision has yet been made.
- Steve Milbrod reports that Fall Fiesta Dance Fundraiser is scheduled for Saturday October 9th. Ticket sales are very good, and we are at 85% capacity of the outdoor parking lot. Since some tickets are still available, there will be another opportunity to purchase sometime the week of September 27. Details to be announced.
Open Forum: Herman Martinez made a motion for AVMS to purchase a plaque to donate to Winn-Dixie in thanks for their support. Since there was not a membership quorum, the motion could not be voted upon, and was taken under advisement by the Board of Directors.
50/50 Winner: The winner was John Bastiani and the amount was $33. John donated the winnings to AVMS.
Motion to close the meeting at 7:25 was made by Steve Milbrod and seconded by Joe Ward.
Next Meeting: October 12th at 6:30 pm. (No meeting in November)
Respectively submitted, Robert Sharak – Secretary