September 8, 2020 Meeting Minutes
Call To Order:
Jerry Hufford called the meeting (Zoom) to order at 6:30 pm. Director-at-Large Joe Ward led the Pledge of Allegiance. Ken Anderson provided the invocation.
Attendance: Directors present were Jerry Hufford, Gerry Northrup, Steve Milbrod, Bob Sharak, and Joe Ward. Thus, there was a quorum. There we 23 participants in the Zoom meeting.
There were no new members to recognize.
The guest speakers from “Our Next Mission” had some medical issues and could not attend. They will be re-scheduled for the October 13 meeting.
Steve Milbrod report:
Beginning balance August: $4,804
Ending balance: $4,804 (no change)
Bob Sharak asked for Board approval of March 10, 2020 meeting minutes. (The last general meeting prior to COVID-19). Board members approved. Minutes will be posted on our website.
Membership Roster: 188 Active members. No new members in August.
Membership Acquisition/Retention: No report.
Website: Vice Commander Gerry Northrup reported for Webmaster Chris DiBiase. Website is up to date.
Outreach: Ken Anderson reported that Operation Outreach mission is for “Neighbors helping Neighbors”. The focus is on serving residents that might need assistance. Ken indicated that with COVID-19, there has been a definite stress impact. A goal is to get more into public awareness as new residents move in.
Sergeant of Arms: No report.
Supply Officer: No report.
- Spring Dance Party Fund Raiser – Event leader Steve Milbrod reported that the event, set for Saturday March 28, had been cancelled due to COVID-19. Many people that purchased tickets generously declined to take a refund. As a result, AVMS is able to make a $2,000 donation to MOTS.
- Sarasota Fair support – Steve Milbrod reported that the Fair was cancelled due to COVID-19.
- Memorial Day event – Jerry Hufford reported that Herman Martinez led the memorial event that especially recognized Gold Star families.
- Golf Cart Parade July 4 – Jerry Hufford reported that the Golf cart parade was well received.
- Funerals for the “Unclaimed – No next of kin”. – Bob Sharak reported that funerals for “Unclaimed” veterans at Sarasota Memorial Cemetery are still not open to the public due to COVID-19.
- October 3rd Dance – Gerry Northrup reported the dance is postponed to next year, 1st quarter.
- Halloween Pet Parade – Event leader Steve Milbrod reported that the event is set up for Friday Oct 30th at 4:30 pm. Sat. Oct 31 is the rain date. Steve provided a map orientation of the parade course.
- Veterans Day Nov 8th – Jerry Hufford reported that the event will be held outside this year due to COVID-19. It will be on the lawn behind the Memorial Flag-pole area. Attendees are requested to bring their own chairs. There will be a small stage with a podium. Jerry is requesting volunteers to assist. Herman Martinez suggested some Boy Scouts. Another suggestion was cadets from the Sarasota Military Academy.
- Operation Thanksgiving – Committee Chair Bob Sharak reported that due to COVID-19, the project would be different than last year. Instead of grocery boxes, we will be donating $50 gift cards purchased from the MacDill AFB Commissary, along with personalized Thank-You notes in a decorative seasonal gift bag. The goal is to donate to 125 military families in need. Project is on schedule. A Donation Information form should accompany all donations, and together, be placed in the AVMS mailbox. Donation deadline is October 30th.
- 2021 Membership Dues – A decision was made to maintain the 2021 dues unchanged from 2020.
- 9/11 Ceremony – AVMS is not sponsoring the 9/11 ceremony at Del Webb, however, it will support it with participants.
Open Forum: Paul Cote talked about the Turning Points Yellow Ribbon Program, to help Veterans. He asked that AVMS consider Turning Points for donation.
John Fulford indicated his wife Chris had been making COVID-19 protection masks, and not charging residents of Del Webb, but has been accept donations for AVMS. He indicated she had approximately $700 to donate to AVMS, either for general fund or Operation Thanksgiving. He asked deadline for Operation Thanksgiving donations, which was stated as Oct 30th.
Motion to close the meeting was made and seconded. The meeting adjourned at 7:30 pm.
Robert Sharak – Secretary